Roots and Fruits

Psalm 1:1 Blessed is the man 
      who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, 
                  nor stands in the way of sinners, 
      nor sits in the seat of scoffers; 
            2       but his delight is in the law of the LORD, 
      and on his law he meditates day and night. 
            3       He is like a tree 
      planted by streams of water 
                  that yields its fruit in its season, 
      and its leaf does not wither. 
                  In all that he does, he prospers. 

Matthew 7:17 So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. 18 A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus you will recognize them by their fruits. 

John 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

I have never been much of a gardener. My father has always been able to grow just about anything, from flowers to fruit trees. His vegetable garden used to feed our family and several others. In fact, he used to give hot peppers to one of the local Mexican restaurants when he grew more than I could eat, can, and make salsa with.  Me? It was never really my thing.

But gardening is kind of a big thing with God. When He created the world, He planted a garden in a place named Eden which was to be the place He used to meet with his human children.  And at the culmination of history, when New Jerusalem descends to earth, there is going to be a garden, complete with the Tree of Life, right back on earth where it started.

God also compares us to trees in multiple times.  I won't make an exhaustive list here. We'll just talk about a couple. 

In Psalm 1, David said that when a person delighted himself in the law of the Lord, he became like a tree planted by streams of water.  If you have ever seen a tree that was planted near a body of water, you know those trees have a tendency to be strong, healthy trees.  The ample water keeps the soil from becoming dried out and rocky so the roots can grow deep and strong. And since the water is a stream, the flow brings a steady supply of nutrients to the tree, keeping it nourished and healthy. 

David goes on to say that it yields its fruit in its season. Raise your hand if you've ever heard a tree straining to pop out an apple. Bearing fruit isn't the result of some special effort on the part of the tree. Bearing fruit is the result of the tree being planted in a good place, taking in water and nutrients - of being what it is. A tree. 

And not only does the tree not strain to bring forth fruit, it also doesn't bring forth fruit out of season, or the wrong kind of fruit.  An apple tree will never grow bananas during strawberry season - not ever, not even once. Apple trees will grow apples during their very own growing season. Peach trees grow peaches during their season.  Grapevines grow grapes during their season.  Have you noticed the pattern?

If I abide in Christ, I WILL grow fruit. But it will NOT be because I grunted, sweated, strained, or read the next bestseller at Lifeway. It will be because I am abiding in Christ, and Christ is abiding in me. He knows what He has gifted me to do, and when I find places to use those gifts in service to His kingdom, what follows is fruit just as surely as day follows night.

Notice I did NOT say when I find a place to do the things I love, to do what I enjoy, but what I'm gifted to do. That might not be popular, but it's the truth. Suppose what I love doing is singing solos, but what I'm good at doing is taking out the trash. If I insist on singing solos - no fruit. Maybe some bruised eardrums. But if I swallow my desire to sing solos and do what I'm gifted to do, BAM! Fruit.

Because it's important to remember what fruit is. Fruit in Biblical terms isn't acclaim or attention or money or praise.  Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control;

If I'm doing what Christ has gifted me to do, it will be apparent because I will radiate God's love. That's the fruit.

Lord, help me to see the things you have called me to do, and help me to do those things with a cheerful, grateful heart. Help me to remember that my life is not mine. It comes FROM you, it is empowered BY you, and it will ultimately return TO you. Help me now to live it FOR you. Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughtlessness and skepticism

Thoughts from the pinkie toe

Answers and Amazing Love